Smart Transformation: Manufacturing Execution System
MES and Database Application
A new era of Industry 4.0 has been making quiet but substantial strides in China. Local businesses in the traditional manufacturing and industrial sectors are becoming increasingly agile at adopting IIoT (Industrial Internet of Things), AIoT (Artificial Intelligence of Things) and their respective innovative applications to enhance performance, optimize productivity, and counter global labor shortage. Through automated and smart production solutions, manufacturers can provide a safer, more efficient, and user-friendly work environment.
To extensively employ smart production processes, companies are seen to introduce domestically developed database management software and digital solutions that are more economically viable and better calibrated to suit local business needs. In respondence to China Ministry of Industry and Information Technology’s proposal last year for national utilization rate of database centers to exceed 60% by 2023E, the average utilization rate in China’s manufacturing sector is already at 70%.
How Digital Business Solutions Empower an Organization
The aim of digital solution, a core component in any business’ digital transformation initiative, is to promote business process optimization and human-computer interaction efficiency. Contrary to the misconception that digitalization may incite personnel turnover, digital solutions can truly enable enterprises to better position, motivate, and retain talents.
- Supplemented by digital operating systems, engineers can more efficiently run and manage fully-/ semi-automated production lines equipped with advanced and precision machinery.
- The collection and analysis of production data, traditionally done manually once every 8 hours, can now be updated more than 200 times a day to detect and predict discrepancies.
- Production, delivery, quality inspection, and maintenance capacity planning can all be generated in real-time, seamlessly coordinated between different departments and division heads, and instantly amended to reflect actual throughput.
- Digitalized production systems provide key stakeholders with clear and accurate information to preempt decision making process and to maximize resource deployment.
- Streamlined operation and production capacities grant businesses the potential to increase order intake without having to appropriate additional investment.
Transformation Readiness Checklist
Companies encounter difficulty in taking the initial stride toward digital transformation, often due to lack of clarity on key objectives and target results. It is paramount that businesses determine and assess their capabilities with these recommended considerations:
- Internal alignment of digitalization initiative is essential to acquiring stakeholder approval.
- Engaged staff and departments must be empowered, awarded, and fully supported across the organization.
- Most external partners/vendors usually specialize in distinct functions and fields, there is rarely a “universal” solution from a single service provider
- Commercialization of digital initiatives are generally long-term strategies and expectations for immediate returns should be guardedly advised.